Key Terms for Language Teachers
A Pocket Guide
Alessandro Benati [+–]
The University of Hong Kong
With contributions by Víctor Parra-Guinaldo, Prince Mohammad Bin Fahd University
The main purpose of this Pocket Guide is to ensure that a clear and accurate definition of key terms and aspects of language learning and teaching is provided to the reader. Curriculum and language teaching materials must be genuinely informed by what we know about the nature and role of language and language acquisition.
This Pocket Guide peels back the complexity of some of the key terms and aspects in language learning and teaching to reveal some basic notions that readers should know about.
Key features of this guide are:
• easy, reader friendly style with no citations
• jargon avoided where possible and technical terms explained in context
• summaries of main points provided
• suggestions for additional readings
Eighteen main entries are chosen for the Pocket Guide. Each entry is easily readable and accessible to specialist and non-specialist readers. It is written avoiding a scholarly style and tone using a reader-friendly approach. Key readings are provided at the end of each entry.
Each entry contains the following features:
– Can we take a minute to think about this?
– What is the nature and role of….?
– What are the main points?
– What else can we read?
Table of Contents
Prelims – Prologue