All Equinox books are published simultaneously in print and as eBooks. Our eBook prices appear on each book’s page on this web site and may be ordered from those pages by individuals and libraries (although libraries will need to contact us separately about site licenses and authentication matters, e.g. IP ranges).
There are a number of ways to acquire our eBooks — subscription, outright purchase of complete collections, or title-by-title purchasing. Free trials available.
In 2020 our backlist comprises over 400 titles. New titles are added to subject collections at intervals as updates after publication. We normally publish between 45 and 50 new books each year. Our eBooks are PDFs supplied in a user-friendly environment with minimal DRM and are only available from Equinox.
1. Subject Collections
To acquire a subject collection by subscription, libraries sign a three-year agreement with an annual opt-out clause and cancellation payment of 10% of the value of the cancelled year/s. To help libraries budget, package prices for years two and three are based on the total price of all of the new titles included in the year’s annual subject package minus the package discount or on the cost of the initial year’s package price, whichever is less. Annual collections comprise all new books published or scheduled for publication during a calendar year. A year’s final list of new books may vary from the line-up originally announced (as when a book fails to be published in a calendar year) so libraries receive a credit note (if mid-cycle) or refund (if at the end of an Agreement) for any differences/shortfalls at the end of each year. No new books not originally included will be provided or invoiced retrospectively. New annual lists are announced between October and December each year for the following year and are supplied from April onwards upon publication. Subscriptions run on a calendar year basis.
Package subscriptions include unlimited simultaneous use, perpetual access and include textbooks. MARC records are provided. Discounts of as much as 25% are available as well as tiered pricing for smaller institutions.
Pick and Choose Options
Instead of the fixed subject packages, libraries can create their own collection each year by choosing a minimum of 20 titles from any subject area combination or combination of subject areas.
Backlist Options for Subject Package Subscribers
Libraries that purchase a current subject collection gain perpetual access to purchased content (i.e. the current year package) and may also opt for one of these routes to obtaining backlist access.
(i) exposure to the entire subject backlist through the utilisation of a Demand-Driven Acquisition (DDA) model. DDA backlist/archive purchases are triggered on the first request and are invoiced at the regular price. There is no minimum requirement and no deposit. Backlist titles are set up for non-concurrent use until purchase is complete.
(ii) automatic access to entire subject backlist on a term (lease to buy) basis. Unlimited concurrent use is granted. The library pays an access fee per subject area for the first three years. This fee is based on the number of backlist titles initially available and varies by subject area and represents a discount of 25%. Access continues as long as the library maintains a current subscription to a subject package/collection. After five years of sequential subscription, the status of their backlist subscription is upgraded to perpetual access.
(iii) outright purchase of entire subject backlist at a discount of 40%.
Print Add-on Option for Package Subscribers
Current subscribers to any package may include the hardback edition (will default to the paperback if no hardback offered) of any new book in the current year’s collection at a discount of 35%. This option may be initiated any time during the year as long as the subscription is current. Orders may be placed directly with the publisher or through a library supplier but no vendor discounts apply. Libraries choosing this option for all titles at the time of contract for their subject package receive 45% discount.
Combine with Journals Package for Extra Discount
The same subject areas are offered for journal packages, and libraries taking both book and journal packages benefit from an additional 10% discount on the price of both packages.
2. Backlist Purchase
Complete Subject backlists (or backlist pick and choose selections with a minimum of 20 titles) are available for purchase at discounts starting at 25%. Concurrent user/perpetual license. MARC records included. Includes Textbooks.
3. Book by Book Option
Libraries can order any eBook either directly from Equinox or via their usual library supplier. No discounts apply. Titles are sold under a concurrent user/perpetual license. MARC records included.
4. PDA Option
We also offer a Patron Driven selection/ordering option whereby a library is given access to all available titles in a subject area (or to an specific list of titles of the library’s choice subject to a minimum of 20 titles) initially on a on a non-concurrent use basis (until purchase). an order is initiated once a title has been viewed twice. Billing takes place automatically once the purchase is triggered and purchases are billed at the regular list price and are acquired under a perpetual license. A deposit of £375/$500 per subject package is required to be set against purchases. MARC Records included. Minimal DRM. Textbooks are excluded.
Pricing, Vendors, Consortia, Trials and Licenses
Consortia receive a 5% commission for electronic collection orders. Packages can be tailored for Consortia.
Vendors receive 5% commission except for print-add on orders which are not further discounted.
For pricing options, consortium arrangements and free institutional trials contact Sarah Lee. Our online content (via EquinoxOnline) is accessible only after an order has been placed, the library has signed and returned their site licence, and registration has been confirmed by us.
Title Lists for 2021
- Archaeology/History archaeologyhistory-ebooks-2021
- Linguistics/Language/Composition linguistics-ebooks-2021
- Popular Music popular-music-ebooks-2021
- Religious Studies religion-ebooks-2021
New title lists will be announced each March; package access begins each April. Packages in Systemic Functional Linguistics, Jazz, Islamic Studies and Buddhist Studies are also available.
Discovery and Support
Equinox already works with the most popular web-scale discovery services — Ex Libris Primo, EBSCO Discovery Service (EDS), Proquest Summon and OCLC Worldcat Discovery — by supplying them with complete metadata and full text of our journals. We are also now doing this for our eBooks. With this information the services are able to fully index Equinox content making it more discoverable. Libraries using any one of these online services should find it easy to integrate Equinox electronic publications into their collections. In addition, we offer the following features:
- All new titles available on publication
- Counter-compliant usage stats
- MARC records with direct link urls
- IP or username/password authentication
- Chapter and book level DOIs and abstracts
- Long-term archiving via Portico or as arranged
- Same prices as hardback print (except for textbooks)
- Quickly create lists to use with our research tools
- Citation generation and management
- Create a bibliography
- Integrated with tools such as EndNote, BibTeX, etc.
- Save notes / snippets on each book
- Access (download, print) notes without having to find the book
- Copy-and-paste and download individual PDF pages
- Bookmarks can be accessed outside of books, i.e. users can view a list of bookmarks and jump straight into the book at that page
- Fast searches open directly at the page of the result
- Save search results for future reference and refining
- Minimal DRM for package subscribers and most institutional purchases
- Our reader offers a richly interactive and easy-to-use eBook (PDF) environment, gracefully adjusting itself to the user’s particular hardware (e.g. PC, Mac, mobile, tablet) and browser software (at a minimum being compatible with IE7) on PCs. For the best results we recommend a modern HTML5-compatible browser or any “multi-touch” compatible Android / Apple smartphone or tablet)
- Zoom in function enables text to be read clearly at any size
- All titles are available in text-only versions and can be read by screen-reading software
Information for Individuals
Equinox eBooks Publishing, with the following subscription:<Name of book purchased>To access content , simply log in to the system with your username, “<username provided here>”. If you do not know your password please click on ‘I’ve forgotten my password’ to reset it. You can login
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact:
eBook Customer Services Manager, Equinox Publishing Ltd, Office 415,
The Workstation, 15 Paternoster Row, Sheffield, S1 2BX, U.K.
Phone: +44 (0)114 221 0285
Fax: +44 (0)114 279 6522
Email: [email protected]
Further information for individual ebook customers
Your access will be set up automatically. Click on ‘My eBook Subscriptions’ on the right hand side of the page. Your subscription will then be visible on the main part of the page. Click on the plus symbol on the right of either ‘My Library’ or ‘eBooks provided by Subscription’. The link to your eBook will then be visible under one of these options. Click on the plus + at the right of this to see the book. Click on the ‘view online’ icon to go to the individual ebook (if you click on exit on the top menu from within any ebook, it will take you back to this subscription page).
The following advice may also be helpful re downloads.
You have a perpetual access subscription with unlimited downloads. The downloads expire after a year to allow for customers changing devices (you would download the book again when it expires or when you get a new device). Downloads are to Adobe Digital Editions or Bluefire Reader, which are free to download from the Internet.
To download the ebook you will need to use an app on your device that supports Adobe DRM, Adobe DigitalEditions http://www.adobe.com/
Below are the instructions from our technical support:
1. You will require a copy of Adobe Digital Editions to be installed on your PC/Mac; this can be downloaded from: https://www.adobe.com/in/
2. You will also require an Adobe ID. This links your copy of Digital Editions to you personally.
3. Find an eBook on Equinox to which your subscription has access, open the eBookin the online reader and click the “Download” button from the RHS panel.
4. The “download” link will cause a file named “URL.ascm” to be downloaded. You should simply open this file using Adobe Digital Editions.
5. Adobe Digital Editions will then download the eBook itself (some eBook files are large and this step may take some time), and it will be available in your Adobe Digital Editions bookshelf, from where you can read the book offline on your own computer.